- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1988
LICENSES, AWARDS & INVOLVEMENTS
- Admitted to practice Law, Texas, 1988
- The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc., 2014–present
- The Best Lawyers in America® Lawyer of the Year, published by Woodward/White, Inc., Litigation-Construction, 2014
Bruce Scrafford has over 30 years of experience in litigation matters, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. His practice concentrates on commercial and business disputes, real estate development, real estate contracts, construction and tort disputes.
His clients have included investors and business owners, real estate developers, building owners, contractors, condominium associations, small businesses, individuals, cities, counties, utility districts and other governmental entities. Bruce has represented clients at the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts, as well as arbitrations.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Commercial Litigation
Commercial Related Litigation
- Represented insurance agency in lawsuit against insurer concerning agency contract, obtaining multi-million dollar verdict for client.
- Represented property seller in arbitration against property purchaser concerning rights to utility reimbursements, obtaining arbitration award in client’s favor for disputed reimbursements and attorney’s fees.
- Represented minority shareholder in multi-million dollar shareholder dispute against majority shareholder, obtaining arbitration award for client.
- Represented minority partner in multi-million dollar partnership dispute against majority partner, obtaining favorable settlement for client.
- Represented municipalities and municipal utility districts in lawsuits against materials supplier and water pipe manufacturers concerning water utility failures, obtaining several million dollars in settlements for clients.
- Represented gas utility in lawsuit against commercial contractor concerning pipeline accident obtaining verdict for client.
- Represented individual in personal injury lawsuit against railroad, obtaining multi- million dollar verdict for client.
- Represented auto manufacturers in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury lawsuits, obtaining defense verdicts for clients.
Real Estate Development Related Litigation
- Represented developer in lawsuit by neighborhood associations challenging permits for commercial redevelopment of shopping mall, obtaining judgment in client’s favor.
- Represented developer in lawsuit by neighborhood association challenging development of apartment complex, obtaining summary judgment for client and award of client’s attorney’s fees.
- Represented developer in lawsuit brought by environmental organization challenging development of shopping mall, obtaining judgment in client’s favor.
- Represented developer in lawsuit brought by environmental organization challenging development of shopping center, obtaining favorable pretrial rulings and settlement that allowed shopping center to be constructed.
- Represented developer in lawsuit brought by environmental organization challenging development of large residential subdivision, obtaining summary judgment in client’s favor and attorney’s fees award against environmental organization.
Construction Related Litigation
- Represented commercial office building owner in arbitration against elevator manufacturer, obtaining arbitration award that funded replacement of building elevators as well as client’s attorneys’ fees.
- Represented commercial office building owner in arbitration against contractor, architect and engineers concerning design and construction defects in building foundation, obtaining settlement that funded repairs of building.
- Represented commercial office building owner in arbitration against contractor concerning defects in roof and windows of two commercial office buildings, obtaining settlement that funded repairs of building.
Experienced counsel & exceptional service