- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1988
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., with High Honors, 1985
LICENSES, AWARDS & INVOLVEMENTS
- Admitted to Practice Law in Texas, 1988
- Texas Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Association
- 2003 Super Lawyers, Top-Rated Business & Corporate
- 2018 S.A. Scene, “San Antonio’s Best Lawyers – Business and Corporate”
- Matthews & Branscomb PC in San Antonio, 1988-2004 – Shareholder (1995-2004) Corporate Department Leader (1996-2004) Director (1996-2004) President (2000-2004)
- Cox Smith Matthews in San Antonio, 2004-2010 – Shareholder (2004-2010)
- Elder Bray & Bankler Founding Shareholder – 2012
- Board Member (2014 to present) and Co-Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors (2017 to present) of Central Catholic High School
Dan has over 30 years of experience in providing legal counsel to companies and managing their legal needs at all stages of the growth cycle.
Dan is a founding shareholder of Elder Bray and serves as the firm’s President. Dan works closely with the management teams, including managing the legal needs of his clients, day-to-day general counsel services, assisting in the development of strategic initiatives, and managing significant legal projects. He has played a significant role in the creation, financing, and operation of several highly successful high-growth companies and leaders in their respective industries. Dan also represents investors in evaluating and structuring investments in closely held businesses. He has significant experience in managing and structuring business separations and asset divisions which may arise in situations of a divorce, ownership dispute, or strategic re-alignment. Dan often assists clients in negotiations on major contracts, strategic endeavors, and dispute resolution. He has significant experience in assisting clients in litigation matters, including assistance in analyzing claims and developing associated strategies, including identifying qualified litigators and others to assist in matters that may involve litigation.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Business Counseling & General Services
- Business Separations
- Commercial Contracts
- Entity Formation & Governance
- Family & Closely-Held Businesses
- Healthcare / Life Sciences
- Retail / Distribution / Manufacturing Services
- Securities & Venture Capital Financing
- Serves as primary legal and business counsel, from inception, of two of Texas’ leading companies in their industries. Primary role in initial acquisition structure, early-round financings, and subsequent venture funded financing. Performed or managed all legal projects and creation of primary agreements, including employment related documents, equity incentive plans, customer agreements, supplier and vendor agreements, and distribution agreements. Continuing active role in consulting with management on major issues and strategic endeavors.
- Served as primary legal counsel for one of San Antonio’s largest companies, from inception through revenue growth in excess of $200M. During representation, had an active role in consulting with management on major issues and strategic endeavors.
- For eight years, served as outside counsel to the operating company of a nuclear facility. Advised the Board of Directors on matters affecting operations and owner relationships. Assisted client in negotiations on major contracts and assisted in managing complex commercial projects, including major construction projects. Assisted in managing litigation matters.
- Lead counsel in two highly successful business/asset separations. Notwithstanding the emotional elements associated with these projects and the complexity of the divisions, these projects were accomplished efficiently and effectively. Both of these projects required the assembly of various specialists who worked with Dan as an integrated team.
Experienced counsel & exceptional service