- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with Honors, 1990
- University of Notre Dame, B.B.A. (Accounting), with Honors, 1986
LICENSES, AWARDS & INVOLVEMENTS
- Admitted to Practice Law in Texas, 1990
- Certified Public Accountant in Texas (inactive), 1994
- Texas Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Cox Smith Matthews -San Antonio (1990-2012) Shareholder (1997-2012) and Corporate Department Leader (2002-2011)
- St. Mary’s Adjunct Professor – “Mergers & Acquisitions”, 2013
- 2012 Outstanding Lawyer in Corporate and Securities – San Antonio Business Journal
- Elder Bray & Bankler Founding Shareholder – 2012
- S.A. Scene, “San Antonio’s Best Lawyers- Business and Corporate
- Lawyer of the Year, Corporate Law and Business Organizations (LLC’s & Partnerships) in San Antonio – 2019
Steve’s practice focuses on representing high-growth and well-established companies in the operation of their businesses, raising capital through private offerings and buying and selling companies and assets.
Steve has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, representing both private and public companies throughout the U.S. in buying and selling companies. He has also assisted clients in creating joint ventures and partnerships in numerous industries – including energy, healthcare, and telecommunications. Steve’s securities practice includes private placement of equity securities for high-growth businesses and advising Fortune 100 clients on strategic equity investments in connection with commercial relationships. He has also assisted in the complicated division of personal and business assets between spouses. Steve’s experience earned him top honors by the San Antonio Business Journal as the Outstanding Lawyer in Corporate & Securities in 2012.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Business Separations
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Oil, Gas & Energy
- Partnerships, Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Securities & Venture Capital Financing
- Telecommunications / Media Technology
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Representation of technology company in multiple acquisitions and sales transactions ranging from $5M to $800M.
- Counseled a public company in its $425M strategic acquisition of convenience stores and related fuel and food distribution businesses.
- Represented a Fortune 500 media conglomerate in the sale and leaseback of approximately $400M of operating assets.
- Advised a leading international media and entertainment company in its sale-leaseback transaction of tower properties.
- Represented a leading international telecommunications company in its acquisition of a company with the technology to enable remote monitoring by homeowners of security, energy consumption, and digital media across multiple devices via a web interface.
- Counseled two related emerging growth pharmaceutical companies in the equity sale to a strategic buyer in Australia. The transaction involved complex earn-out milestones valued at a combined $270M+ over nine years.
- Representation of nation’s third largest optical retailer in sale of the company to a non-profit insurance company.
- Counseled nation’s third largest optical retailer in multiple strategic acquisitions.
- Advised a leading international elevator service company in acquisition of multiple strategic targets.
- Represented a regional private equity fund in its acquisition of an environmental engineering firm.
- Representation of a regional ambulance company in its joint venture with a national ambulance service provider to provide management services to hospital-based ambulance services.
- Counseled the owner of a privately held aircraft interior refurbishing company in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a national leader in aircraft interior products.
Partnerships, Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Represented a leading international publicly-traded telecommunications company in a joint venture with an Israeli based company to provide satellite television in vehicles.
- Advised a multinational publicly-traded energy company in connection with joint venture to acquire and process biomass feedstock into cellulosic biofuel.
- Counseled a multinational publicly-traded energy company in the joint venture to build and operate an oil pipeline and related facilities in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented a regional ambulance company in its joint venture with a national ambulance service provider to provide management services to hospital-based ambulance services.
- Represented a spouse in connection with significant division of community assets, including ownership interest in large energy firm.
Securities & Venture Capital Financing
- Counseled an emerging growth electricity reliability service company through multiple rounds of debt and equity financings.
- Advised a management buy-out group in raising equity to acquire San Antonio division of national homebuilding company.
- Representation of a leading international telecommunications company in its equity investments in multiple new ventures
Experienced counsel & exceptional service