- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- The University of the South (Sewanee), B.A. (Economics), 1986
LICENSES, AWARDS & INVOLVEMENTS
- Admitted to Practice Law in Texas, 1990
- Texas Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Association
- S.A. Scene, “San Antonio’s Best Lawyers – Business and Corporate
- Cox Smith Matthews Incorporated in San Antonio, 2004-2012, Shareholder – 2006 – 2012
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in Austin, 2000-2004
- Fulbright & Jaworski in Austin/San Antonio, 1995-2000
- Johnson & Gibbs in Austin, 1993-1995
- Law clerk for Honorable Sam Sparks, Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas in Austin, 1991-1993
- Elder Bray & Bankler Founding Shareholder – 2012
John’s practice focuses on representing venture-backed technology and life science companies in the formation and operation of their businesses, raising capital through private offerings, buying and selling companies, and corporate governance matters.
In addition, John represents investors such as venture capital firms, private investors and strategic investors and other clients in the formation and operation of partnerships, limited liability companies, and joint ventures.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Commercial Contracts
- Entity Formation & Governance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Partnerships, Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Securities & Venture Capital Financing
Securities & Venture Capital Financing
- Represented investor in $45MM Series C and convertible note financing.
- Advised investor in $2MM SAFE financing.
- Representation of an investor in $25MM investment in venture capital fund.
- Counseled organizers in formation of $50MM venture fund.
- Advised company in $2.5MM Series A financing.
- Represented company in $4.25MM Series A financing.
- Counseled investor in $5MM Series A Preferred Unit investment.
- Representation of investor in $7MM bridge financing, including conversion of outstanding notes and redemption of preferred stock.
Partnerships, Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Representation of investors in investments in limited liability companies and investments in limited partnerships in various industries, including life science, technology, manufacturing, energy, transportation, and food and beverage.
- Counseled organizers in the formation of venture funds, including drafting fund documents, and offering documents.
- Advised numerous investors in investments in venture funds, including reviewing and negotiating fund documents and negotiating side letters.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented sellers and purchasers in sales of venture-backed technology and life science companies to private companies and publicly traded companies.
- Represented two related emerging growth pharmaceutical companies in the equity sale to a strategic buyer in Australia. The transaction involved complex earn-out milestones valued at a combined $270M+ over nine years.
- Assisted purchaser in sale of car dealership.
- Counseled purchaser in sale of food business.
- Representation of purchaser in sale of veterinary practice.
- Advised purchaser in sale of manufacturing company.
- Representation of seller in sale of wireless authorizations to a publicly traded company.
Business Counseling & General Services
- Counsel clients on entity formation and formation documents, including shareholder agreements, voting agreements, buy-sell agreements and repurchase option agreements.
- Represent clients in reviewing and drafting commercial agreements.
- Draft and review option plans, profit interest plans and similar compensation arrangements for companies, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
Experienced counsel & exceptional service